As we enter phase two in Calgary’s recovery from COVID-19, and our restaurants and venues start to reopen, there is still some uncertainty about what’s opening and what’s allowed. We’ve tried to include it all for you right here!
- Ironwood Stage opens this Saturday, June 20 with a Funk/Blues/Soul/Jazz performance by The Blackbelts featuring Aaron Young, Jory Kinjo and Steve Jackson
- Cornerstone Music Café launches Open Air Stage with live music every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at noon
- Koi is back in FULL SWING with a weekly line up of live music including Jazz Guitar with John McRory & Gus Moberg this Friday
- Mikey’s on 12 has re-opened their Saturday jams and other instrumental music. Check out their events calendar for what’s happening
Want us to let people know about your upcoming show – virtual or in person? Submit it to our events calendar!
What are the rules?
For full details, review the Guidance for Live Music, Dance and Theatre from the Alberta Government, but here are some of the basics.
- Instrumental performances only, with no singers or wind instruments
- Maintain two metres of physical distance
- Avoid sharing equipment or instruments
- Observe frequent hand hygiene
Where’s the love?
Support opportunities are still available for our industry and the arts. Here are a few.
- Unison fund provides $1,000 monetary gifts to qualified individuals working in the music community
- The Alberta Spotlight series offers a $1,000 grant for artists to create a 3-song, pre-recorded, high-quality video. Apply here.
- The Canada Emergency Response Benefit has been extended 2 more months
For more details, review the Guidance for Live Music, Dance and Theatre from the Alberta Government.
Although some live performances are going “back to normal”, there are still many exciting opportunities to watch online.
- The Edmonton Jazz Festival has moved online starting this weekend and ongoing every weekend in July
- Check out the virtual concert guide from JAZZIZ
- Pro Arts Society hosts a special live stream featuring Tricia Edwards
- Tim Tamashiro launches his Virtual Jazz Club