JazzYYC is now accepting applications from local jazz educators for the position of Artistic Director of the JazzYYC Youth Lab Band, beginning mid-November 2020. This program is designed to engage and educate local youth in the development and understanding of jazz performance through big band performance that includes a focus on improvisation. The scope of material covered should consist of traditional, contemporary, and emerging jazz styles.
- Applicants for the artistic director must have a resume that clearly shows expertise in the field of jazz performance and education. This individual should be an active participant in the local music community as a performer, educator, or preferably both. He/she must provide three references. The applicant must have a desire to work with this age group and demonstrate good communication and interpersonal skills.
- The Artistic Director will be selected by a hiring committee of three selected by the JazzYYC Board of Directors.
- Once chosen by the board, the Artistic Director must submit a current police background check.
- The Artistic Director will be awarded an annual contract in conjunction with the schedule of the Youth Lab Band schedule (normally September to early June). This season has been reduced due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the schedule for this season has been shifted to auditions in late November and rehearsals in January 2021.
- The expected duration of the Artistic Director’s tenure would be three consecutive years subject to an annual review conducted by the JazzYYC Board of Directors. It is the philosophical belief of JazzYYC that a three year term is optimal for this program as it allows for continuity on one hand while providing opportunity for diversity and shared expertise.
- The Artistic Director will engage in the planning and execution of rehearsals, performance opportunities, workshops, clinics and engagement with artists. It is the Artistic Director’s responsibility to communicate all activities to the JazzYYC Board of Directors in advance of all activities. This would normally be done through the Director of Education.
Please submit an application letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 30, 2020.View more news